Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Occasionally forming into a little knot of the navy

Things are a moving along very slowly here. I did get a good bit of work done last friday and made a relatively exciting discovery. My Captain, who I have written about before, knew Jane Austen's brothers and went to the Naval Academy with Charles. It was there all along in Brian Southam's Jane Austen and the Navy, and I just looked it up by chance when adding a bit about Jane Austen to my chapter. I found this very exciting, and though no one else really did, it didn't matter. It is little things like this that keeps me going at times.


I have however been baking my heart out, particularly on Sunday when we had high(ish) tea for a friends birthday. I made Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon (from Nigella Express), Caramelized Onion and Feta Tarts, Mini-Lamington Fairy Cakes (Women's Weekly cupcake book) and Mini-strawberry shortcakes (Domestic Goddess). All worked really well, I would like to try the strawberry shortcakes at their full size and the Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon were great, Nigella used instant mash in the cakes so they were nice and light and delicious.





HH

6 comments:

mscrankypants said...

Not terribly articulate, but: YUM!

I've ordered Fat Couriers to bring a plate of each!

Unknown said...

Ever thought of starting a catering business? That looks amazing and I do have a weakness for mini- food. If only you could get reliable couriers you would be set!
How exciting about the Jane Austen connection too!

HH said...

Thanks MsC and Jacki. Reliable couriers would be great. I wouldn't mind doing catering, mini-food is awesome, though I did my whole 21st and it was some time before I could do mini again. However I think with an extra oven and a few more baking tins I would be set!

It is pretty exciting about Jane Austen, and makes my references to both Austen and her novels more credible, which is always a plus!!

brensoft said...

Mmmm looking at these photos make me hungry for all that delicious food again! Yum Yum! :)

I think the Jane Austen connection is awesomely cool. So much more exciting than what I'm finding out here!

Unknown said...

It's official your PhD is truly P&S worthy!

I can see the screenplay now... :)

HH said...

Excellent!! Your official ruling on P&S is very important!! I shall begin the screenplay directly!!